Navigating the dangers of Mould and Mildew
Mould and mildew can become a real threat to your motorhome and it can be time consuming and costly to eliminate.
Mould and mildew are made up of spores which release into the atmosphere, affecting the air quality, so it’s essential that you clean your motorhome thoroughly and frequently.
Identifying mould or mildew
If you smell a musty odour, there is a high probability it’s mould or mildew. Further, if you can visibly see mould, you will know straight away that there’s a problem. Black-looking mould is common and is formed thanks to condensation so look at ventilation ducts, showers, window sills and kitchens in particular.
Why is it a problem?
Most of the toxic mould floating in the air is invisible to the naked eye it can affect your health. Without clean air, the body cannot function properly and this could lead to complications.
Mould is most accurately described as a microscopic fungi that grows on a host of surfaces and although small amounts won’t kill you it becomes a bigger problem when spores start to increase and it can cause respiratory problems and common allergic reaction symptoms.
Mould thrives off any organic matter and loves a warm, humid environment; mildew, which is a form of mould or fungus, grows in living spaces where there is a high level of moisture.
Moisture in a vehicle can be caused by spills, damage, and leaks but if moisture is eliminated then growth can be restricted or removed.
In order to prevent mould or mildew accumulation, keep in mind the following advice:
1. Vacuum your motorhome on a regular basis.
2. Check for signs of mould and mildew before bringing items into the motorhome. Look at bedding, furnishings, and clothes to identify any signs of growth.
3. Keep humidity down by ensuring good ventilation. Open the kitchen and bathroom doors for as long as you can after showering and cooking.
4. Clean up any spills and sources of moisture as soon as possible. Always attempt to dry wet surfaces and never let water stand.
5. Inspect for leaks on a regular basis- look for wet spots and repair leaks and act immediately once you have identified a problem. Also inspect your fridge and take notice of musty smells.
6. Dry out the fridge after use and allow proper ventilation.
7. If you have already fallen victim to mould then clean the affected area with a mild solution of bleach. Depending on the severity, you can also consider using washing up liquid or vinegar. If the mould or mildew looks like its approaching dangerous levels then call in a professional cleaner who can help.
8. Consider purchasing moisture absorbing crystals to capture any excess moisture in the air.